Skip to content

Cillitor (Fortified Gate)

Cillitor

The second of the seven gates, the “Cillitor”, has served various purposes over time. This two-storey gatehouse was originally used to house the guards.

The extension on the left was built around 1678 CE by Count Johann Ernst von Purgstall, the son-in-law of the “Gallerin”, and once bore the initials of its builder.

At the end of the 19th century, the cellar rooms housed the so-called “Gemeindekotter,” the prison of Riegersburg. During this period, the upper floor was used as accommodation for the lordship’s servants.

From the 1970s until the year 2000, the Cillitor served as Riegersburg’s youth hostel, which many former pupils can still remember.

Labelled Images